Bracken Managment - The Major Battles have begun!


Over the last month I have spent on average about 30 mins per day. On bracken removal. I have used a variety of tools but ended up with a petrol strimmer/bushcutter.

The strimmer head worked well at first but as the stems harden the bushcutter is required.

In addition I have found that, given the excellent growing conditions this year, the grass on the slopes does an effective job in hiding the younger fronds. For this reason, for the last 2 weeks, I have been using the bushcutter attachment (3 spoked wheel cutter).

This has reduced the height of the surrounding grass and helped to expose the young fronds.

The litter is still not substantial enough to require removal but this may well change after my enforced, post-surgical, absence. I am hoping to be back at the bracken by mid July.

As my surgery is tomorrow  I decided to complete the bottom section of the land in it's entirety.

There was a reasonable density of new growth but considerably less than last year.

After emptying the bushcutter of petrol I continued up the hill to remove any new growth. This added 30 mins to the session but at least now I know I can do no more.

As of this moment all (except for the tiny % I've missed) of the live fronds on the southern side of the land have been removed.

Given my surgery and other work commitments I have decided to leave the northern section of the land this year.

Comments